English French German Spain Italian Dutch Russian Portuguese Japanese Korean Arabic Chinese Simplified

Thursday, July 30, 2009

Head Start

The Great Aussie Salute

Photographs copyright: DAVID McMAHON


The word "G'day" is instantly recognisable around the world as the quintessential Australian greeting. Over the years, I’ve seen many great depictions of the word, but this one was unique. I was at the Temora Aviation Museum in early June, watching an air show, when I noticed this person in the crowd ahead of me.

Have you ever tried taking a photograph of someone’s head when they’re watching fighters go screaming past in the sky? Let me tell you, it’s a mighty tough gig. It’s a bit like trying to do the same thing at a tennis match, when people’s heads constantly move side to side.

The weather was foggy at the start and the light wasn’t great later on, when the pilots got the all-clear, and to add to my problem, this gentleman was actually sitting under cover and a long way away from me. However, I had a long lens (70-300mm) on the camera, so this is as natural a shot as I could produce in the conditions – and it’s as Aussie a sight as you’ll ever see.

And to answer your question, G'day is simply a contraction of the phrase "Good day".


Visit MamaGeek and Cecily, creators of Photo Story Friday.

No comments:

Post a Comment