English French German Spain Italian Dutch Russian Portuguese Japanese Korean Arabic Chinese Simplified

Friday, July 31, 2009

Ha, Ha Monica

For Me, This Performance Struck A Poignant Note

Photographs copyright: DAVID McMAHON


Sometimes a face just stops you in your tracks. Then, despite the fact that you have a camera around your neck and media credentials in your wallet, the debate begins. Do you have the right to intrude? I always ask the person if it’s all right to photograph them. Always.

When I photographed a harp player in Quebec City, it was with his permission. When I photographed a pavement piano player in Melbourne, it was with his permission. When I photographed a costumed belly dancer, it was with her permission. When I photographed a blind busker, it was with his permission.

So when I saw this street performer in Singapore two years ago, I asked if I could take some shots of him and he nodded his assent.

Just for the record, I wasn't in his face when I shot these images. My normal lens is a Sigma 18-125mm, so I always have plenty of options. Both these images were shot at the maximum focal length, so I wasn't even within touching distance when I photographed him.

If only I’d had an interpreter, I would have asked many questions.

I really wanted to know how old he was and why there was such depth of emotion in his eyes. Yes, he had a funky haircut. Yes, he had a great shirt. But I wanted to know why he sat there in the tropical heat, apparently without any teeth, playing the harmonica as if it were his only outlet for creativity.


Visit TNChick's Photo Hunt. Today's theme: "Entertainment''.

No comments:

Post a Comment