English French German Spain Italian Dutch Russian Portuguese Japanese Korean Arabic Chinese Simplified

Wednesday, January 30, 2008

Introducing Vanilla - the pre-published author


I found this meme over at Jon’s place and just had to borrow it – thanks, Jon!


What's the last thing you wrote?
Aside from a whole lot of edit changes? A poem for the blog.

Was it any good?
It’s okay and readers seemed to like it – but they might have just been being polite. But then poetry really isn’t my “thing”.

What's the first thing you ever wrote that you still have?
A children’s story, which I had to write using calligraphy and illustrate as part of an art college project. The first “real” thing I wrote, at age seven, was a play called “Little Girl Lost”. Set on roller skates it predated Starlight Express by a good few years – move over Andrew Lloyd Webber.

Write poetry?
Occasionally.

Angsty poetry?
It has been known.

Favourite genre of writing?
Fantasy, paranormal, magical realism, supernatural stuff for young adults.

Most fun character you ever created?
Pad and Pod, two deeply mischievous and troublesome gnomes with voracious appetites. Oh yes, having just been pecked in the head – Atyllah the Hen.

Most annoying character you ever created?
A young girl in my second last manuscript who was intent on doing all the wrong things no matter how many opportunities she was given to improve her life. And oh yes – given she’s not looking – Atyllah the Hen.

Best plot you ever created?
The one I’m currently editing. The image above may give you some clues...

Coolest plot twist you ever created?
The one in the current manuscript – see excerpt – final question of this tag.

How often do you get writer's block?
I don’t get writer’s block but I can be extraordinarily good at procrastinating.

Write fan fiction?
No. I’m not convinced that copying is the sincerest form of flattery.

Do you type or write by hand?
Both, but mostly I type. It goes faster and it’s easier to make changes.

Do you save everything you write?
Yes. I have notebooks and folders full of bits and pieces. But like Jon, from whom I borrowed this tag, I all too often forget about them!

Do you ever go back to an old idea long after you abandoned it?
I haven’t done so yet but there is something I’m planning to go back to when the time is right – a fantasy trilogy for 9 – 12 year olds – which just happens to feature those gnomes – and a dragon, a wizard and a Great Dane with “views” - oh yes, and a young boy (or girl). Oh yes, and an evil sorceress and, and, and…

What's your favourite thing that you've written?
The manuscript that I’m currently editing - and I the one that I’m currently writing. Both have me very excited – but I think I’ll feel that way about every new manuscript!

What's everyone else's favourite story that you've written?
The manuscript I’m currently editing…

Do you ever show people your work?
Yes, it’s a brilliant way to learn. I’m part of a critique group and I have writing buddies with whom I share work. Having your work critiqued and critiquing the work of others is one of the best ways of learning to write better.

Did you ever write a novel?
Actually, I’m in the throes of writing my seventh novel. The first four were practice runs.

Ever written romance or teen angsty drama?
Yes.

What's your favourite setting for your characters?
Whatever is right for the story.

How many writing projects are you working on right now?
Two.

Do you want to write for a living?
Despite a hearty dose of realism, make that a resounding "Yes!"

Have you ever won an award for your writing?
No, but then I’ve never entered any competitions. (Mind you, I did win a prize in a blogosphere short story competition once.) But I have had work published – a children’s short story and several non-fiction articles.

Ever written something in script or play format?
Yes, my first job was as a scriptwriter – so I’ve written plenty of stuff in script format – and then there was that play from when I was seven…

What are your five favourite words?
Sussuration, myopic, yum-yum, wobble, ethereal. This list is subject to change and depends on the phase of the moon.

Do you ever write based on yourself?
Yes, but not intentionally.

What character have you created that most resembles yourself?
Hmm, hard to say, all my main characters have bits of me in them somewhere.

Where do you get ideas for your other characters?
Everywhere – but mostly people I have met at some point in time. Yes, it’s a bit scary for those of you who are acquainted with writers – we borrow personality traits wherever we find them… Be afraid.

Do you ever write based on your dreams?
Sometimes but only partially. Dreams can be a wonderful source of ideas.

Do you favour happy endings, sad endings, or cliff-hangers?
Happy ones and cliff hangers.

Have you ever written based on an artwork you've seen?
Only in blog competitions.

Are you concerned with spelling and grammar as you write?
Yes, and I always go back and double-check in the editing phases.

Ever write something entirely in chatspeak?
No – but I have used it where it’s been necessary. I am, after all, writing for teenagers – sometimes you need to insert some of their language.

Does music help you write?
Occasionally, and scene dependent, but mostly I prefer to work in silence.

Quote something you've written:

“… My life is upside down, things have gone crazy… I have a right to know what’s going on!”
Mrs Tweadham sighed. “I can’t say another word. It isn’t safe.”
“Who’s stopping you?”

“I fear your father is.” I had to strain to hear her voice.
“My father? You said my real father was dead.”

“Yes,” said Mrs Tweadham, “he is.”



So, now you know.

No comments:

Post a Comment